Tuesday, December 19, 2006

NBA Fights

Ok, I'm going to take a guess here but I'm probably not the only person tired of watching basketball games and then all of a sudden a street fight breaks out.
The latest disaster for David Stern and the NBA was the brawl in New York on Saturday between the Knicks and Nuggets. The suspensions came down yesterday with Carmelo Anthony getting the biggest chunk with a 15 game whopper.
Now to me the only problem I have with the suspension's are they aren't long enough. Carmelo Anthony, JR Smith, and Nate Robinson should all have gotten 30 games each and Carmelo shouldn't be allowed in the All-Star Game. Harsh you say? Dang right! It is ridiculous to have this much blatant thuggery on display in a professional sport. Players whine when the have to actually look like professionals because a dress code is imposed. This kind of behavior is unacceptable and must be treated as such. Punching, slapping, chasing people around the court, I've seen more civilized behavior in the WWE. David Stern is accused of being to dictatorial as the Commissioner of the NBA, but I'm starting to wonder if he's not tough enough. At some point Stern has got to crack the whip and say enough is enough. Players must be held responsible for their actions.
I think Marvin Lewis, coach of the Bengals, said it best. "The only way to punish athletes is to take away their stage." I agree. Take it away. Send them away, let them sit in the corner and think about what they did wrong like the children they are.

No comments: